Thursday, 8 March 2012

Mold part 2

I finished off making my mold the other day...

Plasticine bung 
Take the bung out

The liquid soap should have made a barrier so the mold was easy to open. I had to prise mine open but it stayed intact.

Replace the armature so it fits snugly.

Replace the eyes back into the mold

Mark which way up the armature should be facing. And stop the bung hole with a bit of plasticine.

This is the silicone that we used to fill the molds.  It looks a bit like raw chicken.
This was coloured using a flesh coloured oil paint. Oil paint is best to add pigment.

The silicone comes in two parts. You have to be extremely careful not to contaminate either part with the other. Always use separate mixing containers and tools.

Mixing the separate  parts. One part was coloured using oil paint (yellow). Adding pigment to just one part keeps it translucent which is better for skin.

Mix until it is nicely blended.

Once the silicone had been mixed and left to settle for a bit to let the air bubbles rise, carefully painted the silicone onto the casting surface- this prevents air bubbles.

painting inside of the cast.

Do the same for the back.

Then gently pour the silicone so it hits the armature an flows around it.
Put the two halves together. The mold should be overfilled so
that when the two halves are put together the excess silicone
overflows up the bung.
Then leave for about three hours. I left mine over night...

Here you can see how the shim acts like a drainage system. 

Et voila! 

He has a few air bubbles but thats because we were working against the clock.

I can trim the seams and the back were silicone flowed into the bung.

Next I'm going to try out some Texture Bats- which are holds for creating textures- like fish scales for my mermaid....

No comments:

Post a Comment